This programme is for nurses, healthcare assistants, therapists and people handling staff who work in a hospital setting or nursing/residential home where patient handling is undertaken frequently.
The aim of this programme is to give staff involved in people handling a sound knowledge of back problems, their causes and prevention. They will be taught correct body mechanics and a range of techniques suitable for moving people in a wide variety of situations.
On completion of the programme staff will be able to:
• List the five causes of back pain and state how problems can be prevented
• Describe their responsibilities under the 1992 Manual Handling regulations and the RCN Code of Practice for manual handling
• List four rules of body mechanics and demonstrate the power position
• Be able to assess each people’s manual handling requirements and to plan and implement safe transfer methods
• They will be able to demonstrate some of the practical skills relevant to their work areas
On successful completion of the course the delegates will be issued with a certificate of competence.
All courses can be delivered on the client’s site.